Chiropractor's wife!

Chiropractor's wife!
Have Curves In All The Right Places?

Saturday, September 7, 2013

Part Time Chiropractic Back In Business

I can honestly say I have not missed owning a business one bit since closing our practice in December of 2010. That was almost three years ago! Those two years of our lives were the hardest and most rewarding and sobering of our marriage.


Today I am happy to announce that I have taken the initiative, with my husbands blessing of course, to build his part time chiropractic practice. He will be approaching it all this time as a sole proprietor and will not maintain an actual office but make house calls exclusively rendering his services to those in need.


I have spoken to our accountant and have the go ahead and council to keep it under $10,000.00 of income which will be the case for 2013 considering how far along in the year we are as I am just starting this! I feel like the entire thing is a joy and a pleasure to pursue this time because it feels more like a hobby than our livelihood.


I haven't told you but he was unemployed all summer with no prospects on the horizon but a couple chiropractic associate jobs that took forever to get back to him when he landed a Full Time Chemistry teaching position at our local high school. The same week he was in fact, offered a full time associate salary position locally at a practice that was amazing! He had already signed his teaching contract so those pursuits took precedence. He is also in college for one class two times a week to get endorsed not only in science but Math. Those of you who followed our story from the beginning know that I married a Math teacher! So it is all coming full circle in a round about way! He is a busy man.


As usual, I am working part time in health care...well sick care rather.... and I waste my time and talents carrying out tasks and making decent money doing things in a cubicle that are incongruent to my values and beliefs. Basically I sell poor confused people medicare replacement HMO plans so they have benefits that straight medicare alone doesn't allow. People in todays healthcare climate, hell, for the past 15 years of my Medical Assisting career, are as confused as ever and vulnerable. Dealing with it face to face all my life and now hiding behind a curtain where the big money is- insurance- makes me feel like a sell out!


Knowing this compels me to apply for other jobs every other week that are equally terrible. Last week, it dawned on me that rather than look elsewhere for work I should apply that energy directly in to my husband. I was working out at home because my local gym was under annual maintenance when his degrees and graduate photos caught my eye. There it was, screaming at me saying, "Hey! Work for him!"

My first thought was, "He can't afford me!" followed by my second thought, "Perhaps he can."


Perhaps he can. If it is to be it's up to me. If I can get him seeing a mere 10 patients a week I can be home, his expenses would be covered, and there would be enough to supplement a poor Utah teaching salary! As of now he has no intention of replacing teaching with chiropractic but we do hope to be able to upgrade his equipment and make enough to rent a 3 bedroom home, get the kids braces, take them to Disney land, and check out Europe as a family one summer in the next 5 years.


He is licensed, insured, and ready to serve!!!

9 comments:

  1. Best of luck to you & your Husband!! It can't rain all the time!! I will be starting a new job soon...However it doesn't relate to my degree. I'm Humble enough to make the best out of what I have.

    Here is a video I think you will like
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGEf50wqu-M

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. So far so good. It takes very little to make progress in todays world thanks to facebook and google.

      Delete
  2. I have a friend who is a chiropractor. She is amazing at what she does. It can be a hard job sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How's the business going so far?? wishing your husband the best of luck. Turns out the State job I was going to get I lost out to someone with a Felony record :(

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I ran his stats Last Thursday 10/24: Since starting Sept 14 (6 weeks old) he's at 13 New Patients, 23 Active Patients, 43 adjusted, and a gross collection of $852 which mostly went to start up costs being insurance premiums, gasoline, and an 8 hr CE credit seminar this weekend. We'd like to get him to Parker seminar in Vegas in Jan which looks like will be no problem. Beyond that I still better get a business license from the city and sales tax id seeing how we are trying to sell standard process again too. Such a pain in the ass. I am good about weeding out high risk patients and he doesn't seem too stressed. We've been slow this month. Speaking of which, I should book some appts!!!

      Delete
  4. I just found your blog (really enjoy your thoughts and your writing)from reading your comments on the chirotalk forum regarding the insight subluxation station, from April, 2011. You mentioned talking with another chirowife who was stopping making payments to Bankers Leasing. Do you know how that turned out? Did Bankers Leasing take any legal action against them? I ask because I'm a chiropractor and thinking of doing the same thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I need not refer to the fellow wife story as we have our own! You are right, I never followed up or shared he details of the ordeal. As per the contract, if you default on your Millennial Insight Subluxation Station they ding you for the whole amount. We sent ours back, paying everything we had to get it shipped back to them taking our checking acct down to $5 at the time. They did eventually resell it crediting $7K to the balance and yes, proceeded to sue us for the ridiculous remaining amount of approx $15K!!? This along with our commercial real estate lease default forced us to bankruptcy. You won't be surprised that Bankers Leasing ignored the initial cha 7 furlough that is mandatory in the process and still harassed us and even had shady documents where the initial threats conflicted with documents WE had early on. I am entirely convinced this is their business. Not the equipment itself. Basically selling and reselling defaulted leased equipment to young idealistic spring chickens! They do not mess around and make a KILLING!!! I wont be a bit surprised if we get served in 7-10 yrs by them again. I am sure it is how they stay in business. They don't care. The fact that CLA is also okay with their practices disgusts me. Evolution of this profession eating their young! CLA rakes you in, brainwashes you, and gets you the financing you need to make your dreams come true through Bankers Leasing knowing you will default. But what do they care? They have their $20-$25K. Even after all we have been through, I cringe at the thought of ANYbody paying that much for THAT equipment. It is priced for you to fail. Those of you who haven't, I wonder if it was because you brought it in when you already had a seasoned practice up and running?

      Delete
  5. Thanks so much for responding so quickly. If it's ok I'd like to get clear on a couple things you said. What do you mean that Bankers Leasing ignored the Chp. 7 furlough? Also, what do you mean by "shady documents where the intial threats conflicted with documents" you had early on? And you won't be surprised if they serve you again in 7-10 yrs? Is that because of filing bankruptcy, owing the $15K?

    I'd also like to ask your opinion on my situation as to what I should do. I have the Insight equipment and it's paid for. The money I owe Bankers Leasing is for Creating Wellness equipment (another CLA ripoff). I'm thinking of selling the Insight equipment and probably my car to raise the money to pay off Bankers Leasing and get out of this mess. Or I could file bankruptcy and dissolve my business and they could take both sets of equipment. But then I worry what filing bankruptcy will do to my standing in business because I have my eye toward doing something else. I plan to speak with my attorney on this, just wanted your personal perspective.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am inadequate to give advice but I do have my opinions that I am happy to share. First, your situation. I am all too familiar with Creating Wellness. I am proud to say I was the one who said, "NO" and spared my husband from that scam when he got back from Total Solutions. (yay) Filing bankruptcy is definitely something you should avoid if at all possible. If that means hiring an attorney to settle on an amt to be paid to Bankers Leasing to avoid it all, do it. Especially since you have an eye on something else. I AND my husband have been declined jobs since filing last year as a result. Jobs that would take us to other avenues of income. Mine was applying to work for Fidelity Investments, and his was to work for American Family Insurance. It does effect you. That being said, I am an advocate for the headache and repercussions of cha 7 when it comes to f*ckers like Bankers Leasing. To answer your questions, they had 2 different addresses on their paperwork and claimed they never got notice of our filing. Our lease I dug up is what I used to serve them notice but their served papers from their attorney and correspondence was all different. During our cha 7 process they sued us locally and won. They make it clear they have endless resources to fight you, the little man, in court. I turned it all in to our attorney and they took care of it (as it is fiercely illegal to do that when someone has filed and is in the cha 7 process). It is my opinion that CLA, Bankers Leasing, and whatever law firm they use are all in bed together blowing each other. It isn't just chiro equipment either. So if 20/20 ever wanted a good story to look into I would love to participate. So yeah, I am sure, we are in some file to be revisited for money owed which I assure you won't be $15K but some ungodly amount they consider with lost penalties and interest and bogus bs armed with their illegal local judgment, which we will once again probably ignore and fight or succumb to bankruptcy again. I know I get confusing when I resurrect this stuff. I am one to employ living in the present so it is difficult and messy to pipe off about it all as it feels so long ago. At the end of the day our lives are going well and we have both ended up in a good place. I am sure that is because we did what was right for us. Don't listen too much to the noise. Listen to your heart- -even though it betrayed you before signing up with this profession/CLA in the first place! ;) We will all just look back and laugh at all this some day!! What matters is the relationships around you and sharing your story so others can glean. Good Luck!

      Delete