Unfortunately, my husband never answered one of those ads, but I know someone who did! Meet Dr Rob! He was gracious enough to give me permission to share his post and has a treasure trove of book worthy experiences I hope he'll get to writing soon!
"There is an AD on here looking for a Chiropractor in Bangkok. I have worked with them before and wish to inform those that wish to pursue communications with this company:
1) You will be given a salary scheme and general information on the clinic...THAT DOES NOT MATCH THE ACTUAL PROPOSAL WHEN YOU BEGIN WORKING FOR THEM
2) You will be told to go get a visitor/business visa to enter the country and " work" because they do not make you legal. THERE ARE ASSOCIATES, CURRENTLY, WHO DO NOT HAVE A WORK VISA and the owners will not take responsibility for it.
3) You will pay for your airfare and get there to only be given an address to go to one of the outlets to talk to the people working there.
4) You will eventually meet the owners...possibly a week later
5) You will be responsible to find your own place and be informed " on the fly" of your work schedule as IT WILL CHANGE WEEKLY or even daily.
6) They will state that you will work 5 days a week and have 2 days off but before you know it...you are actually working 7 days a week and may get a day off here and there.
7) You will go to " fairs" / " road shows" from time to time and will examine all patients and treat those that " sign up" to a package and only than you may make 500 Thai Baht per sign up.
8) These fairs can go 10 hours a day.
9) You will be getting paid in local currency and with exchange rate will mean nothing to you when you go home.
10) YOU ARE FULLY RESPONSIBLE FOR ANYTHING THAT MAY OCCUR WITH THE PATIENTS.
11) THERE IS NO COMMUNICATION BETWEEN YOU AND MANAGEMENT< DIRECTLY....SO BE PREPARED FOR THE OFFICE POLITICS THAT WILL OCCUR
If you choose to go with them please look into it carefully and ask to talk to the other doctors working there to get more feedback. Otherwise good luck and be careful. It's unfortunate we have people like this. If you want more information on my experiences please feel free to email me."
For original and emailing Dr Rob see chiro classifieds! http://www.planetc1.com/cgi-bin/cs/cs.cgi?action=detail&AdNumber=41215