Chiropractor's wife!

Chiropractor's wife!
Have Curves In All The Right Places?

Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Chiropractic Is The Best

My husband graduated from Logan College of Chiropractic almost 3 1/2 years ago. His lovely framed diplomas are on our wall. His Doctorate of Chiropractic is slightly faded from being in a sunny place on our clinic wall for over 2 years. You don't notice unless you take some time to really look at it. His skills are paramount. His passion for his profession burns bright. With yet another payment towards his mal-practice and a careful planning on how he is to achieve his CE requirements to keep his license in good standing with the state of Utah money that is already in scarce supply runs through our fingers. Like the fading of the ink on his overpriced diploma my hopes and dreams have been waning. I have finally reconciled the fact that I will have to work full time and support this family myself with my meager Medical Assisting diploma that I am still paying off. While we do maintain a handful of faithful patients, mostly family doing US a favor, it isn't enough to fiscally sustain his chiropractic professional requirements let alone offer any sort of living. In fact, to be honest, chiropractic holds a place at the table that is our family budget under expenses. I use to fight this and make myself crazy. This reality is the Twilight Zone where you can be an awesome student, pass board exams, borrow unprecedented amounts of money only to find yourself paying to remain in the profession that is chiropractic.


Moving forward I wrap myself today in the warmth of resentment towards chiropractic. The institutions that allow us to be where we are, and the professionals who encourage it still. It is gross. I regret the day I didn't pout like a bitchy selfish wife and dig my heels in the ground when my husband said he wanted to change directions in his educational pursuits. I thought our story would have a delightfully thrilling turn that I could share with the world. I hoped I could redeem the profession and regain my zeal on my husbands behalf. Alas, today I am announcing my defeat. I give up. Aside from printing some business cards that we may casually offer interested friends and family to take advantage of over 200K worth of skills, knowledge, and passion I am done.

3 comments:

  1. Maybe when Celeste is in full time school, you could work during their school hours? Sorry chiro sucked so bad. $200k is just way too much money to have to pay off on nearly any income let alone on a meager self-employed income.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe it is your attitude that is holding you back. There is a quote that says, "If your life sucks, it's because you suck." Harsh, but in all reality true. If your thoughts are filled with negativity then so is your life. You are the only one that can make your life and your decision better. I mean all of that in the most empathetic way possible as I too am a struggling chiropractor's wife who faces mountains of debt and crazily tight budgets. The truth is, our husbands are changing people's lives and I can guarantee your patients would never consider that to be a waste.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Melissa! The day I wrote this I accepted a position. I know it is early but I have a great friend here willing to watch her and take her to Kindergarten spring semester.

    Alicia you are spot on! It is unfortunate that you are only seeing negative in my blog posts or our situation. I just try to tell it like it is.

    ReplyDelete