Chiropractor's wife!

Chiropractor's wife!
Have Curves In All The Right Places?

Thursday, October 6, 2011

Post Graduation Gossip

I had lunch with a dear old friend who was visiting from out of town! We knew each other the 4 years that my husband was in Chiropractic School in Saint Louis, Missouri! She and I went to the same church at the time and she was excited to tell me she had read my entire blog and feels like telling the newer students that move in to run the other way!

None of us students keep as good as tabs on one another post school as we should but the overall feeling is that everyone is doing "well." Perhaps I am the only chiropractor's wife who knows differently! I don't have solid statistics and the economy tanking 2008+ hasn't helped the situation either but what amazes me is that people have still been enrolling in chiropractic school as a second career! I remember this in our flock of student life! I can count 3 middle aged people who went through school around the same time as we did who were doing this too!

At this point in time it is inconceivable to imagine people flocking to be a chiropractor. The profession is constantly scrutinized as not being legit in the first place and is not supported by a national organization strongly leaving the post graduate professional to sell it to the consumer who is typically only interested in an adjustment even though these chiropractors are licensed physicians well trained and tested in the human body.

We've been fighting for the piece of the pie since my husband graduated and it isn't nearly as glamorous as we had hoped! We have one foot out of the door so to speak regarding this profession as it is! Hope keeps us pressing on to bigger and better things! Ideally, my husband will land a kick ass position locally doing what he loves in a field he worked really hard to be in!!

1 comment:

  1. I'm one of the"middle-aged"people who's completed chiro school&licensing,graduating the same yr your husband did,but from a different institution.

    I can honestly say most of us who've chosen chiropractic as a 2nd/3rd etc career have most probably had intentions of being"better than we were before"we began our chiro-career path.

    In knowing some of the"older"chiropractic students,a lot of us got here because we were helped significantly by a chiropractor&/or other natural healthcare providers. A lot of us who've experienced this have done so after consistent failed attempts at seeking answers to our own health issues from allopathic providers--&getting no or worse results.

    We realized instantly from a patient's perspective just how powerful&lifesaving chiropractic&natural healthcare is. We studied chiropractic because we know it WORKS&so we want(ed)to learn how. And we want(ed)to leave something better for the next generation,literally&figuratively. To us,chiro care just makes sense,especially when allopathic care in many instances has been shown to be ineffective&can even be harmful.

    A retired chiro I knew once said: "I cannot understand how anyone can raise a child without chiropractic care."

    Neither can I. I even get my pets adjusted!

    I can tell you I was raised without chiropractic care&instead with allopathic care. I'd suffered from unresolved,accumulating health issues from toddlerhood all the way thru undergrad college,only to be already 30+ yrs old by the time a chiropractor discovered what was wrong&helped me more than most of the allopathic practitioners I'd seen so far.

    Because my health issues had been compounding for decades with no solution from the allopathic side(which was all I knew for too long),I had to leave my original career because my health issues had interfered so much with my job performance&career progress. It wasn't until 5 yrs later that I found the solution via chiropractic&the rest is history. It literally saved my health&I wanted to help save lives. I also could not easily return to my former career because I'd been 5+ yrs away from a very competitive&rapidly-changing field which I was very happy to leave at the time. So I almost had no choice other than to happily go in a new direction&ironically,by getting my health back,I'd also found that new,true direction.

    I'm now forced into leaving chiropractic for the same reasons your husband is,&with loans in worse shape. I'd had excessive passion&energy,but wasn't counting on the Great Recession on top of an ego-driven profession lurking around the corner,ready to pounce BIG. 'Twas certainly difficult enough before--but egos stabbed it,further-restricting insurance regulation&non-reimbursement pushed it off the cliff,&the Recession killed it.

    A highly-competent chiro office mgr told me the recession caused a lot of established chiro practices to close. Established ones! If established clinics close up,that says the recession's had just as much to do with difficulties of success as overrun egos&chiro marginalization have. If our patients don't have enough jobs,how can we?!

    ReplyDelete