Chiropractor's wife!

Chiropractor's wife!
Have Curves In All The Right Places?

Friday, June 24, 2011

Print Advertising

I was on fire about our ad going out to 60,000 Salt Lake residence on the 15th. I knew my cell phone would be ringing and my husband would be getting used for free by at least 100 of the finest moochers the area has to offer! They would meet him and get their free care and say, "Hey, you are awesome, I want you to be my Chiropractor!" So would begin a small snowball that would eventually grow to be my husbands bread and butter. He would be helping enough people and doing his craft without the headache of practice ownership while supporting his little family with the basic necessities of life! It was going to be beautiful!

My cell phone only rang 2 times since that ad hit. 1 was a patient who came and went and was never heard from again, and the other was someone seeing if he carried Standard Process so she can do muscle testing on it. Honestly, I try not to dwell on it or wonder too much about why 60,000 trash cans don't cut out our coupons and bring them in!

Here's the part where you sit me down and tell me that I need to come up with another $200-$500 and do it again. All marketing gurus will tell you its all about repetition. We get it! The problem is, that we aren't newbies anymore to this marketing game. All the thousands we spent on print advertising in practice had a zero ROI (return on investment). I can see trying it again if 5 people out of 60,000 called me to use FREE coupons at my husbands clinic but 1?? We don't have money to shovel into a black hole anymore. It all went to advertising in the past and failed marketing events, website optimization, print ads, and hopes and dreams that it would pay off.

Here's the head space we shall visit now. It's called consumerism. *I* may have only been a chiropractors wife for almost 3 years now but I have been a consumer for much longer. I can tell you from a consumer stand point, most of my ads and coupons go in the trash. Sure, I may notice you but it doesn't decided where I will go. If anything it tells me where to NOT go. Why? Well, because, the biggest and best and fancy coupons or ads doesn't really suit me unless it is dry cleaning or food. Too many of us have cut the coupons full of glee and bounced our happy butts into an establishment only to walk out with a shoe up our behinds paying out more than we ever expected! Its all about fine print and wording! That scenario only has to play out in a consumer 1 time to turn on the auto trash feature! It is a shame but it is the truth!

Where shall we go from here? I don't know... give Utah the standard "5 years in business" time allotment and a chance to grow or just move to Texas. What would you do???

5 comments:

  1. Bummer. I was hoping your phone would ring off the hook once we left. A move to Texas wouldn't necessarily make his chiropractic career boom, however. The grass is always greener on the other side of the fence (border?). You guys have a pretty sweet community up there, great weather, active lifestyles. All things I wish we could have in Texas, but alas. Nowhere is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am determined to land him a position here. Then, you can send your kids to me off and on so they can be cleansed with the mountain air! It would also be nice to not have to pack ever ever ever again! I think we've moved 12 times in 9 years of marriage. Can we say, SETTLE DOWN? We LOVE it here. The first rule on "starting a practice on a shoestring budget" is "LIVE WHERE YOUR HEART SINGS." If you sit quiet and turn down the radio and TV you can hear my heart sining loudly... shhhhh listen.... you hear it??? I think its Europe's "Final Countdown!" being sung single handedly from my heart!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! I'm sending Kassidy out there next spring or summer, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  4. SO glad I found you! I was just about to start a blog with this name, but guess it what is taken by you :)
    My husband had been in practice for 14 years, he try the first years to do about everything to advertised. Then we found some great support company, if you want to called it that way. Anyway we are not rich but we have been "Solo and cash only practice" and is a wonderful thing. Hang in there...we have five children and I know is not easy to be in the bussines.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Please consider this YOUR blog too Enid! I would love to share your story here! Chiropractors wife's UNITE! (or husbands) I'll say this, there is NEVER a dull moment being a chiropractor's wife! Plus, we have curves in all the right places!

    ReplyDelete