Chiropractor's wife!

Chiropractor's wife!
Have Curves In All The Right Places?

Thursday, March 31, 2011

What's Next?

I keep finding myself wanting to know what's next?
While the voice of reason whispers "be patient" and "give it time" all I continue to discover is that in this field the reality, is how it is going to be for a long, long time is how it is now. I can discover that now and nudge my husband to think of what he would like to do next and put a check mark next to "Be a Chiropractor" moving on or we can waste 10 years hoping things improve and be that much more behind any career/degree change possibilities. Time is precious and time is Money.
Today I wrote the Huffington Post as they are conducting an ongoing investigation into students being in so much debt these days! I also came across this in the Chiro Talk forum:
Hi everybody I have been a practicing chiro in salt lake city for 6 years now. I have known for quite some time that I will never make it as a chiropractor. It only took living below the poverty line the entire 6 years as well as a bankruptcy, “manipulative” management groups and bosses with questionable billing tactics to wake me up. When I was in school I would hear how there are different types of chiropractors, ones who excelled at school but then later failed in practice and ones who struggled at school but are later very successful. Anyway I was the guy who was a presidential scholar, graduated magna cum laude and who fell flat on his face when I went into practice. It is important to mention that I never once cheated in school or looked at old exams as most of my class did. I figured if I could do well in school by my own merits then why couldn’t I do well in practice. The problem is now I am directly competing with all of those people that have questionable morals. Chiropractic is doomed and it is nobodies fault but the professions. I don’t see it lasting more than 20 years from now, especially with the DPT’s coming online to provide manipulation. I for one don’t really have that much of a problem with delivering chiropractic. It has worked great for me with my debilitating low back pain and headaches as well as for many of my patients. Chiropractic is more than just an expensive aspirin. Manipulation often works when anti-inflammatories or PT doesn’t, and it obviously has a valuable place in health care. On the other hand I don’t buy into all of the crap about subluxation etc, and I appreciate what this site stands for. All that said I am still living below the poverty line especially now that I have 4 kids, and I know it is not going to get any better. The reality is that I know I need to leave the profession but I don’t know what I would go into or if it is even possible to go back to school with all of my student loans (they are up to $160,000 from $140,000 when I graduated as I haven’t been able to afford a single payment on them). I have been considering going into medicine in particular radiology or pathology. I don’t have any reservations about the school or curriculum it is more a matter if I want to commit the time and if I want more dept. I also did very well in chemistry but I would have to start over for this and eventually work up to a doctorate to be able to pay off my loans. Please if you are a student looking at chiropractic DON’T go into it. This my best year for collections since I graduated 6 years ago. Want to take a guess at what I made? A whopping $43,000 with 4 kids, no retirement, no insurance, no house and no hope of it getting better. This is the reality of chiropractic. The writing was on the wall before I went to school I heard stories of somebody that went through school to become a chiropractor that was no longer practicing, but I brushed it off as nothing and gave the schools the benefit of the doubt. All of my former class mates are in the same position that I am in and I guarantee things are going to get worse for all of us when the loans can longer be in forbearance and start defaulting. Any words of advice or encouragement would be greatly appreciated. I know I am not getting any younger and that I now have a family, but at the same time I am not going anywhere and things are only going to get worse so I have to make a decision now. Thanks Greg

His post was titled "PLEASE HELP!" Although it is over a year old I was glowing because it sounded like my husband wrote it! The difference? My husband has only been out of school going on 3 years! There is still hope for us! So, what's next? Accounting? PA? Neurology??
You know, he makes a wonderful teacher/lecturer. Today we applied for a couple more jobs at the University of Utah. Our thoughts are that he can make decent wages and get free tuition. Then, no matter what is required he can avoid more loans being drawn out! We purged the chiropractic from the application as much as possible. We'll see how it goes!

2 comments:

  1. Hi! I just found your blog. I noticed you haven't posted since last year.... after reading through a few posts I was just curious to know how things are going with your little family? Is your husband still working as a chiropractor? My husband is also a chiropractor and a lot of what you posted sounds VERY familiar. Did he get another job doing something else or did he go back to school. I wish I could turn back the clock and encourage my hubs to go into another field..... But alas, it is what it is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tiffany! I am still blogging and up to date with the most recent post being last week! I wish I could tell you how to find the most recent posts! ha ha ha! My husband is teaching to provide and doing chiropractic on the side. The entire unfoldings are all here.....

    ReplyDelete